Add a possibility to establish a link between the document and a certain style

Introduce a possibility to establish a link between the document and a certain style would be very convenient in some cases. If you have multiple documents that apply the same custom styling which is not the default styling and you want to make a change to this custom styling, then a link would avoid having to re-apply the styling to all those separate documents.

This feature request is related to this topic: Change to central styling

Interesting idea.

To be further investigated:

• how to reconcile this with the current design of the styling system, which combines a cascade of different styles at different levels (system default -> customer -> department -> user -> document -> file -> individual instance) into the final style that actually gets applied;

• what happens when the source style gets deleted?

• what if the document gets transferred to another account (or other database), where the source style does not exist?

Hi Maarten,

Sorry to bump, but I just figured that I never answered to the above questions.

My use case was actually that I have a different style set for short documents (e.g. smaller font size, text in two columns, etc.), but if I make a change to one of these sets, I have to re-apply the style to the documents using this “short” layout set.

1. No clue, I only use this in Q&A.
  2. Source style deleted = display error and switch to default
  3. Transfer to other account = display error and possibility to add the source style (“do you want to create the style set?”)

Those were actually not real questions towards you, but more internal comments, as well as remarks on why the implementation of this idea is not as straightforward as you’d perhaps think.

But thanks for the input. This is indeed something on our roadmap, although probably not for immediate release.