One condition affecting a lot of clauses

Hi ,
I have the situation where the outcome of one condition (date contract) affects most of the clauses (which law applicable) that can be selected by the end user to create his or her template. I also want the end user to answer one question in the Q&A regarding this condition and that all subesequent clauses selected by the end user show the correct text taking into account the answer given by the end user. How do I structure this?

As I see it, I would draft the condition once and then copy/paste it in every single clause, whilst adding the relevant text to be added in that particular clause.

Would this seem the right way to structure this or is there an easier way avoud having to copy/paste?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the discussion forum!

1. Your gut reaction to avoid copy/paste of conditions is correct, because from a maintenance point of view such copy/paste is troublesome — imagine having to update a complex condition in 50 different locations. Both when drafting clauses and when creating a Q&A we therefore offer various mechanisms to avoid such copy/pasting behaviour.

2. Assuming your question is about the conditions attached to a (card or question in the) Q&A, there are two easy ways to avoid copy/pasting conditions.

• You can insert the full condition on some first card/question A, and then in subsequent cards/questions B, C, D, … refer to the visibility of A. This way, B, C, D, etc. will always follow the regime of A, so that any change you make in how the condition of A works, will always implicitly “ripple” to B, C, D, …

• A more explicit approach is to use the “shared conditions” facility: go to the “'repository” panel, subpanel “shared conditions”, and add the condition you want.

Then, within each of the cards/questions where you want to use that condition, refer to the shared condition you created.

This way, you can simply change the shared condition in a shared location.

1. For creating centralised conditions in the actual clauses (or the enabled? condition of a clause), the following paths can be used:
  • move the condition to an external snippet, which you then invoke within the enabled? condition or { … }, instead of copy/pasting the entire condition each time
  • create a data expression