I have a document with a mix of single- and dual-language clauses, alternating between translated clauses and non-translated datafields:
This set-up works as a single document. If I create a Q&A based on the document itself, “Don’t translate in multi-language” works as expected.
However, once I add the document into a binder (without anything else), the setting is seemingly ignored:
Both exporting directly from the Binder or from a Q&A created from this binder creates this error, where clauses marked as “Don’t translate in multi-language” are shown twice.
Because I want to use the Repeat Document setting, I need to add the document into a binder, which then breaks “Don’t translate in multi-language”.
In addition, I am confused by the “Various Settings” of the base document. They are set with a “-” instead of a checkmark, which I understand to mean that they are a mix of activated and deactivated:
Here, I find this indicator confusing, as I do not understand how a single clause can be set to both states.
Am I missing a setting somewhere to enable “Don’t translate in multi-language” and “Show clause page-wide, across all columns” to be respected on a Binder level?
Thanks a lot for any help!
Whilst troubleshooting this issue, I have encountered some more weird behavior with the Binder Options. I have set them to only include English, and Disabled Multi-Language export.
When I download Word or PDF files with these settings turned on, I still get a dual-language export. However, if I Shift-Click the PDF Preview, I only get a single language in the Browser, as expected.
You seem to have enabled the following settings in your Changes. These override the base settings in the Options.
thanks for the reply - I tested removing the Change set, but still get an error. After some more troubleshooting, I believe the problem lies in the interaction between the Binder Repeat document setting and “Dont translate in multi-language output”:
When a clause is set to “Dont translate”, it works as expected during the dual-language export:
- in the base document
- in a Q&A based on the base document
- in a Binder where the document does not repeat
However, as soon as I set the base document within a Binder to repeat, any clause marked as “Dont translate” will still show up twice, in two columns.
The Below screenshot is of the same document within the same binder, with the only change being that the document Repeat Setting is turned on (right) or off (left).
I hope there is a way to fix this - thanks a bunch!
Quick response your question what the status of these checkboxes mean:
These checkboxes are in the “undefined” state. In some software applications, the meaning is “there’s a mix of checked and unchecked”, in this case within Clause9 it rather means “the checkbox is neither set nor unset”.
The reason is that this checkbox can actually have three different types of impact:
- Checked: it changes a library clause’s setting from “no” to “yes” for this particular instance of that clause
- Unchecked: it changes a library clause’s setting from “yes” to “no” for this particular instance of that clause
- Undefined: it does not change the library clause’s setting.
Perhaps we should actually change this setting from a single checkbox to a slider, similar to what we do with the styling, where a slider that is not activated (= undefined state) means “don’t change the styling from the default”:
About the bug in the repeating document: this should have been solved in the meantime, cf. our private email conversation.
This is very good to know, thanks!